Thursday 8 April 2010

Indoor planting


Now is the time of year to start planting those seeds that cannot be sown directly into the cold soil at the allotment! I don't have any fancy greenhouses, potting sheds, conservatory or even a heated propagator but I do have seed trays with lids and a nice warm floor! This year I've decided to go for some easy veg including dwarf sweetcorn, courgette, squash & pumpkin plus I've also done a tray of sweet Basil.

Sweetcorn and basil can be sown directly into a seed tray with about 1.5" of potting compost & then covered with 1/2" of compost or vermiculite. With the squash and pumpkin seeds, I've gone for a biodegradable home made pot that I can simply drop into a hole when the time comes. Making these posts is easy, fold a piece of A4 paper and tear in half. Wrap around a broom handle or larger cylinder (depending how big you want the pot) & leave about 1" of paper at the end. moisten the paper to stick it together (spit or water works well) and fold the excess paper back inside to form the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment